Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.

Note: This FAQ relates to HMIS


What are acceptable forms of third-party documentation for documenting an individual or head of household’s history of residing in a place not meant for human habitation, emergency shelter, or safe haven?

Date Published: April 2016

Print ShareThis


Acceptable forms of third-party documentation based on the recordkeeping requirements that were established in the Final Rule on Defining “Chronically Homeless” include:

  1. An individual record of a stay in an emergency shelter, a safe haven, or from a street outreach contact from an HMIS, or comparable database used by victim service or legal service providers;
  2. A written observation by an outreach or intake worker of encounters with the individual or head of household that includes a description of the conditions where the individual or head of household was living or is currently living;
  3. A written observation by a community member that has observed where the individual or head of household was living or is currently living; and
  4. A written referral by another housing or service provider.

Tags: Data - General CoC Program Requirements - Definition of Chronic Homelessness HMIS

Links in This FAQ

Related FAQs