Yes. CDBG funds may be used to install wiring, fiber optic cables, and permanently affixed equipment such as receivers for areas to receive broadband/internet access. Eligible activities include:
- The acquisition, construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, or installation of public facilities and improvements (which include infrastructure improvements) under 24 CFR 570.201(c);
- Rehabilitation of privately owned buildings for residential purposes and non-profit owned, non-residential buildings and improvements not eligible under 570.201(c) under 24 CFR 570.202(a);
- New housing construction carried out by a qualified Community Based Development Organization under 24 CFR 570.204(a);
- The acquisition, construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, or installation of distribution lines and facilities of privately-owned utilities, which includes the placing underground of new or existing distribution facilities and lines under 24 CFR 570.201(l);
- Digital literacy classes as a public service under 24 CFR 570.201(e); and
- Economic development – grants/loans to for-profit businesses, particularly businesses that focus on broadband/Internet access and technology under 24 CFR 570.203(b).