To be eligible to be on the Roster the counselor must:
- Be employed by a HUD-approved housing counseling agency or affiliate of a HUD-approved intermediary or state housing finance agency.
- Have successfully passed a standardized Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) counseling exam administered by HUD or a party selected by HUD, within the last three years. In order to maintain eligibility, a counselor must successfully pass a standardized HECM counseling exam every three years.
- Have received training and education related to HECMs within the prior two years. In order to maintain eligibility, a counselor must complete continuing education every two years.
- Have access to and is supported by technology that enables HUD to track the results of the counseling offered to each client.
- Not be listed on:
- The General Services Administration’s Suspension and Debarment List;
- HUD’s Limited Denial of Participation List; or
- HUD’s Credit Alert Interactive Response System
Housing Counseling Program
HECM Counseling Requirements