Housing Counseling FAQ

Who can apply to be on the Roster?

Date Published: October 2015

Print ShareThis


To be eligible to be on the Roster the counselor must:

  1. Be employed by a HUD-approved housing counseling agency or affiliate of a HUD-approved intermediary or state housing finance agency.
  2. Have successfully passed a standardized Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) counseling exam administered by HUD or a party selected by HUD, within the last three years. In order to maintain eligibility, a counselor must successfully pass a standardized HECM counseling exam every three years.
  3. Have received training and education related to HECMs within the prior two years. In order to maintain eligibility, a counselor must complete continuing education every two years.
  4. Have access to and is supported by technology that enables HUD to track the results of the counseling offered to each client.
  5. Not be listed on:
    1. The General Services Administration’s Suspension and Debarment List;
    2. HUD’s Limited Denial of Participation List; or
    3. HUD’s Credit Alert Interactive Response System

Tags: Housing Counseling Program HECM Counseling Requirements