Will HUD pay rental assistance if the head of household (HOH) is hospitalized?

Date Published: October 2015

Print ShareThis


Yes, Grantees can continue to make rental assistance payments when the HOH is hospitalized as long as the household continues to pay their portion of the rent and the tenant is expected to return to live in the unit. This would include but is not limited to hospitalization in a medical facility, a psychiatric facility, or nursing facility. Note that it is possible that a household’s income / tenant rent may change when an individual is in the hospital or institution. In the event the tenant’s absence from the unit may be for an extended period of time the tenant may request a reasonable accommodation to retain the unit. The approval of the reasonable accommodation will be up to the Owner, possibly in consultation with the Grantee.

Tags: 811 PRA Program Requirements - Leases and Occupancy