Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

Can a lender provide the name and toll free number for a housing counseling agency not based in the client’s home state, but which provides phone counseling nationally?

Date Published: September 2015

Print ShareThis


No. HUD requires the provision of five counseling agencies within the client’s state, with one of those agencies being within reasonable driving distance. In addition, the lender is required to provide the telephone numbers for the three national networks approved by HUD to provide telephone counseling nationally: AARP, NFCC, and MMI. These requirements, and the use of these networks, are designed to prevent steering. The inclusion of an additional out-of-state phone counseling entity creates the appearance of steering. Counselors from this entity can provide telephone counseling nationally for clients referred through one of the three national networks listed above, but may not be included on the list of counseling agencies provided by the lender.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program HECM Counseling Requirements