Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

If a client decides to finance the counseling fee through loan proceeds, how will the counseling agency receive this payment from the lender?

Date Published: September 2015

Print ShareThis


The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Certificate will serve as an invoice that the lender will provide to the settlement agent. The settlement agent will use the information provided on the HECM certificate (name of the agency, address, and fee amount) to pay the counseling agency. Mortgagee Letter 2008-12 states that the closing agent will assume responsibility for remitting the payment to the counseling agency that performed the service. Typically, loan proceeds are disbursed on the fourth day after loan closing.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program HECM Counseling Fees

Links in This FAQ