Housing Counseling FAQ

What agencies are required to have a Client Management System (CMS) for reporting quarterly performance activity? Is it required to have a CMS if the agency does not provide direct counseling activities?

Date Published: July 2014

Print ShareThis


HUD regulations require that all HUD-approved agencies use a CMS to report housing counseling activity on a quarterly basis (9902 reporting). State Housing Finance Agencies (SHFAs) may be exempted from this requirement if the following circumstances exist:

  • The SHFA does not provide direct counseling services;
  • The SHFA serves only in an administrative capacity to its sub-grantees; and
  • The sub-grantees submit their own individual quarterly 9902 reports which make up the consolidated report for the SHFA.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Housing Counseling System/Client Management System