Housing Counseling FAQ

What documents are required for a State Housing Finance Agency to submit?  

Date Published: October 2015

Print ShareThis


A State Housing Finance Agency (SHFA) is not required to submit an application for HUD approval. However, to participate in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program, SHFAs must either submit a housing counseling grant application through the HUD Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) or submit a written request to HUD to participate. The request should include:

  • A list of affiliates that will provide the counseling activities and assurance that the affiliates meet all program requirements as stated in the final rule 24 CFR, part 214.
  • Submission of a form HUD-9900, with the following sections completed: Section A; Section B, Part 1, item 7; and Section C.
  • A copy of the relevant statutory authority to operate as a SHFA and to provide housing counseling services throughout the entire state.

For further information, view 24 CFR Part 214 - Housing Counseling Program; Final Rule.



Tags: Housing Counseling Program Housing Counseling Agency Approval

Links in This FAQ