Due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is closed. This website is supported by a cooperative agreement funded under a prior appropriation. Current functions will remain operational but no new functions will be added during the lapse in appropriations. For more information, see HUD Contingency Plan for Possible Lapse in Appropriations.
Housing Counseling FAQ

What document should we submit with the form HUD-9900 application to prove our agency’s nonprofit status?

Date Published: October 2015

Print ShareThis


HUD requires a copy of the IRS letter your organization received that granted your agency 501(c) status and identifies your organization as a proper recipient of tax exempt, charitable contributions. The IRS letter should also contain a designation of your official taxpayer identification number. HUD requires a copy of the letter because many entities that seem to have a charitable purpose are not officially recognized by the IRS as a 501(c) entity.

Tags: Housing Counseling Program Housing Counseling Agency Approval