CDBG Entitlement FAQ

An applicant of our home rehabilitation program has an adult daughter that is living in the house and pays rent. We normally count the daughter as a household member and count their income and assets. In this situation the adult daughter is refusing to provide any income or asset information to her mother. Since the adult daughter pays the applicant rent, can we exclude her as a household member and count the rent as rental income?

Date Published: May 2015

Print ShareThis


If your program limits assistance to LMI households, you could not approve this application since you would not have complete information on all household income and could not document that the household is LMI. The daughter may be willing to provide the information to the grantee, even though she will not disclose it to her mother. If your program provides for assistance to housing units on the basis of meeting the national objective of elimination of slums or blight, income information on the occupants would not be required. Rather, you would need to document whether the assistance complied with the requirements for the elimination of slums or blight (see 24 CFR 570.208(b)).

Tags: CDBG Entitlement Program Income Determination