CDBG Entitlement FAQ

Must a contractor be registered at and have a DUNS number to check for debarment?

Date Published: May 2015

Print ShareThis


The General Services Administration (GSA), a federal agency, is required by the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to compile and maintain a list of parties debarred, suspended, or disqualified by federal agencies. Contractors as well as recipients of federal financial assistance must be registered at To determine if a proposed contractor is debarred, grantees should check the federal SAM database. Active registration in SAM is required to apply for an award and for HUD to make a payment. In addition to checking the name of the contracting firm, the name of the president and owner of the firm should also be checked. Staff should also review any state and local debarment lists. Website printouts must be placed in the file.

Per the SAM User Guide, the No Active Exclusions field on the SAM Entity summary indicates whether the entity has a current debarment. will check the exclusions list for the DUNS number of your entity and indicate whether any exclusion records exist. If an active exclusion record exists for your entity, this question will default to “Yes,” meaning that the contractor is debarred. No Record Found means that the entity is not registered or has let its registration lapse. The entity should ensure that the email address is current in so that when automated reminders are sent to renew registration each year that this reminder does not go into spam due to an obsolete email address.

Tags: CDBG Entitlement Program Procurement

Links in This FAQ