Environmental Review FAQ

Where are Special Flood Hazards Areas (SFHA) located?

Date Published: May 2014

Print ShareThis


Information on where SFHA are located is available on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The SFHA is represented on the flood map by darkly shaded areas designated with the letter "A" or "V." FEMA uses engineering studies to determine the delineation of these areas or zones subject to flooding. The flood maps are available for public review at the local planning agency or building permit agency. Local appraisers and companies that make flood hazard determinations for banks and other lenders in connection with property loans also have access to these maps and data bases.

Tags: Environmental Review Flood Insurance

Links in This FAQ